Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Finger Dance Card

In recent years I discovered something else that I am passionate about. This was when a family member (an amazing graphic designer and photographer) first introduced me to Quark Express and magazine layouts. It was such fun playing around with different fonts, graphics and layout to showcase a piece of work and learning how a well designed page could really influence the reader. With tools like Adobe Indesign, Microsoft Publisher and Apple's Pages, I'm amazed by the world of possibilities for creative print and digital publishing projects

I'm quite excited about designing new teaching aids for my studio and look forward to creating materials that appeal to children and at the same time, serve its purpose to reinforce concepts introduced. I started with a simple test project and here's what I came up with...the Finger Dance Card!

I'm planning to use the Finger Dance card as a visual and guide to help students learn the common scale fingering. Students can use the card in the following ways:
  1. Play scale away from piano with the "finger dance" - reinforces thumb tuck and 3rd finger over. (would help to say the finger numbers out loud as children perform the finger dance)
  2. Print the scale letter names in the green boxes with a dry erase marker (on laminated copies) 
  3. Use as reference when practicing scales on the piano
It's been fun working on this project and I'm delighted to share this with anyone who might find it useful. Simply click Finger Dance Card to download

7 comments:

  1. Just downloaded and printed a copy. Thank you so much for sharing your graphic design talents, Wendy! I love the idea of laminating and writing the note names in. Definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome Luba, glad you find it useful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finger dancing sounds way more fun than "scales". Great job... keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the design and colors on this - definitely more fun than just following the fingering I scribble into their lesson book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Anne & Heidi, glad you like it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Seems I'm forever nagging about thumb tucks and third finger crosses. I'll definitely be using this with my students!Thanks, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Valerie, glad that this card will come in handy:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and thoughts, I enjoy reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...