Sunday, June 5, 2011

More Fun with Eraser Toppers

I have been working on triads and inversions with the students and I love the use of my "crazy erasers" (as a student puts it) as a teaching aid. They seemed to be working really well functioning as visual cues to help students easily find the notes to the inversions as they try to simultaneously remember the finger numbers. To add to the fun, I clipped on miniature strawberry clothespins on the pencil eraser toppers and then set the students on their way to finding the root, 1st and 2nd inversions of the triad.
As usual, the room was filled with a chorus of giggles as students watched their "guideposts" fall. I love how these simple little pieces bring the fun and excitement in learning...
I'm now wondering if any teachers are using different tools, visuals or methods to introduce triads and inversions to a young student. If so, I would love to hear your thoughts and glean other ideas on presenting this concept.

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I have been using a graphic picture of the keyboard and marking the keys with Xs, but this is much more tactile and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I also have students mark the keys with the Xs on paper keyboards and include this activity in hopes of reinforcing the concept. Thanks for your kind comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a set of scale blocks like the ones on Natalie Wickham's Music Matters Blog. I use them all the time for building scales and triads with my students. The blocks help children see that triads and inversions recycle the same three chord tones. There's a good summer crafty project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea Anne, I'm adding this to my summer project list and can't wait to get started!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy,

    What a cool idea! I have students mark out patterns on paper like was mentioned above, but this might be just the extra visual a few students need to really "get it." Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Jennifer, thanks for leaving your comments, I'm glad you find this activity helpful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and thoughts, I enjoy reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...