Friday, August 19, 2011

Going Paperless with Noterize

Another exciting discovery with a new iPad app called "Noterize". I have been writing down assignments on students' notebooks for years and this year, I am planning a change and was actually toying with the idea of emailing assignments to students and copying their parents on the email. When I received an email from an MYC colleague yesterday about emailing assignments from the iPad, it ultimately sparked my curiosity to find the perfect app that would do exactly what I want. I was looking for an app that would display pdf or jpeg files as a background so I am free to create templates and forms. Now there is a variety of apps that have this feature but this is clearly not enough. The next criteria was the ability to create text boxes, edit text, change fonts and move them anywhere on the screen. I thought finding the perfect app was tricky but I absolutely can't believe that an app is available and the best part.....FOR FREE! So, iPad users, hurry on to the app store and download Noterize! It is a must have in your studio if you're planning to do away with handwritten assignments.

To summarize, here are a few highlights of Noterize:
  1. The best part: Users can create text boxes and have options to include a border or display as a sticky note!!. Edit text, change fonts, pen size, colour and move the text box anywhere you wish on your iPad screen.
  2. How would you like to include audio clips to demonstrate a section of a piece, an articulation or phrasing?? It is now possible to attach an audio file to the assignment sheet. Share your assignments via email, dropbox, pdf, Facebook, Twitter or Google Docs
  3. Highlight, annotate and erase your notes easily. 
  4. Importing a document is easy. Transfer your documents through iTunes or simply download it from a web browser or dropbox. So Dropbox fans, there is an easy way to download your templates to Noterize.
  5. Noterize supports a variety of file formats: png, jpg, pdf, ppt
I created a template for weekly assignments that I am excited to try this year and here's a sample page that I had emailed myself from Noterize :) I think it's great that I'm able to save some printing cost and ensure that parents can be on top of their child's piano assignment when they are copied on the emails. The template is posted here if anyone is interested in this resource.

22 comments:

  1. That looks neat, Wendy. I don't have an ipad, but maybe someday. However, I am planning to improve me assignment making this year. I'll be implementing Music Teacher's Helper, which allows each student/parent to log in and see notes I have written for them. So along with a much improved assignment notebook, they can interact throughout the week if they need to concerning practice, and the assignments are visible and understandable for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leah, I think it's neat that MTH has the functionality for parents to log in and see notes, sounds like a good tool to have. Would love to see how this goes for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops, didn't mean to speak hillbilly there- I meant "my" assignment making. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I would love to download your template for Noterize and try it out, but I can't figure out how to do it! When I click on the link, it just takes me to my personal DropBox page, and your templates are nowhere that I can find. Do you know what the problem is?

    thanks for posting the information, this is a really neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My apologies for the broken link Nancy, I was probably not inserting the correct link to dropbox. It should work now, hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this new I-pad app idea. I am playing with it now. Yikes, I need to get going, I have been playing too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're amazing, Wendy! I've been away for 2 weeks & didn't bring my laptop (only my new ipad). Is there a trick to downloading your ipad apps to the ipad or do I have to put them on my computer first. The whiteboard app can't seem to find the backgrounds.

    Love the template -- so much prettier than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello "me"! I have been transferring the backgrounds through iTunes, seems simplest and quickest way to get them to the iPad. Noterize actually allows you to import pdf,jpg or ppt files through a web browser without connecting to your computer. To do this, launch Noterize and select "web browser" as the import option. You will be connected to a web browser and then simply navigate back to this blog and click the link to the template. You'll be taken to dropbox. Select the homework sheet template and click "save" at the bottom of the screen. This will download the image file and open it up as a note on Noterize. Hope this helps. I encourage you to read the user guide in Noterize itself, it has great information and detailed step by step process for the various features.
    I think you can only transfer the backgrounds to your whiteboard app through iTunes. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I got my iPad earlier this year, I debated on what note-taking app I should download for class notetaking and I chose Notability over Noterize because it was slightly cheaper. So now I am ECSTATIC that Noterize is FREE. I love the ability to upload a PDF or JPG file to edit (something missing from a lot of other note apps). What a great tool to use for the studio. I like the paperless concept. Can't wait to try it out with some of my tech/email/internet-savvy students :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mariel, Yes, Noterize is perfect! It's definitely one of my favourite apps :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, Wendy, you are full of great ideas! I don't know that this is a change I'll be making this year-- I feel like I am already taking on a lot of new "initiatives" in my studio! But I am definitely going to start playing with this app now and maybe make the switch to paperless notes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Wendy !!! I loved your ideas with ipad so i gave in and bought it yesterday.... OMG i love it !!! Thanks for your wonderful idea, AGAIN :) Susan from San Antonio...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luba, hope you're already having fun with Noterize, I'm quite excited to try it!
    Susan, happy to hear that you got your new iPad, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Beverly,
    I just found out that the company that created Noterize has been acquired by another firm. The app has now been renamed to PaperPort Notes and the good news is, there are new updates and features and the app is FREE! Here's the link to the iTunes store
    http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/paperport-notes/id476134017?mt=8

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bev,

    So sorry I accidentally deleted your comment below:

    Wendy

    Hi Wendy,
    I just got my iPad yesterday and it appears that Noterize isn't available now. It doesn't come up in the available apps.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Wendy, that's good to know so I'll go looking for it under the new name and free is always good! I'm having a great time downloading apps....now I have to figure out how to use them. Thanks, again, Bev

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Wendy,
    So after months of reading about your great backgrounds and apps, I gave in and got one for Christmas. Thank you for the backgrounds - they'll get me rolling on this. Question: What program did you make the backgrounds in?
    Thanks again!
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Whitney! You'll LOVE it!! There's SO many possibilities for the iPad as a teaching tool.
    I created the backgrounds with mostly the Adobe Photoshop program, you can also create using Pages from the iWork software or Word/Publisher from the Microsoft Office suite :)
    Have fun with your new iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Wendy, I saw this sheet on your drop box slide show. It was circles with scale fingers in them. I'm trying to find them in your store. It is PERFECT for what I do. Could you help me? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, the one in the store is called the "Finger Dance Card" but the cards do not come with finger numbers.
      I can also offer the dropbox version as a special order, is this what you might be looking for?

      Delete
  20. I love this! One question though - if we want our students to interact with their assignment sheet (say, check off items or write in practice times) is this possible? I've looked into it and haven't found a way through this app or any others. If you have found any solutions, I'd love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Rebecca. This app is now called Paperport Notes which allows you to share it in various ways, including dropbox. If you send it to your student's folder on dropbox, he/she can just import it from the app to read the assignment sheet and annotate as needed :) Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments and thoughts, I enjoy reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...