Friday, September 30, 2011

MYC Conference in BC

Last week, I attended the Music For Young Children teachers' conference for the BC region in Princeton, BC.  I have to say it was one of the most rewarding experiences as a teacher and I really appreciated the friendships I have made and learning about all the amazing things that are happening at the studios of my wonderful colleagues!
We shared ideas and participated in many activities that were centred on making music and the learning process fun! It was like being a student once again and it just felt so magical coming together to make music. We sang, danced, played Boom Whackers, games and each group presented their own little song with choreographed movements, such fun!! There were also presentations by area representatives from all over BC to discuss various topics like planning recitals, studio organization, managing classes to help teachers become more efficient with all the various tasks we are challenged with on a daily basis. 
We also had the opportunity to learn about "The Musical Brain", an extremely interesting and enlightening topic presented by our very own MYC teacher, Tara Gaertner from Vancouver who holds a P.HD in Neuroscience. Tara discussed the Neuroscience of practicing and shared some insights on memory formation and retention as well as the optimum conditions for facilitating this when practicing. 
Last but not least, the highlight was definitely the "Excuses Concert" at the end. The teachers who performed had to simply provide an excuse to "why it doesn't sound better"! There was such amazing talent in the group and I am left feeling inspired and rejuvenated once again!
If there was anything that could have made this experience better, it would have to be the Zipline that I missed as a result of chickening out at the very end! The gorgeous weather didn't help pluck up my courage to go for it....next time Princeton!!

5 comments:

  1. Could you share more about the musical brain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like getting students who have been through the MYC program - they are well-prepared for a lot more learning.

    By the way, maybe this is just my computer, but your font is really light and kind of hard to read. Or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BusyB, I would love to check in with the source on the "Musical Brain", will let you know.

    LaDona, I'm sorry you are having trouble viewing the text. The font seems to look ok on my side, perhaps I should take a look at increasing the font size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not the font size - that's fine. It's just unevenly lighter and darker (looks like a printer that's a bit short on ink). No big deal, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks LaDona, I agree the font colour is a little light, I've tweaked the colours. Hope this looks better :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and thoughts, I enjoy reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...