Thursday, December 22, 2011

2011 Christmas Recitals

This December has been filled with wonderful moments to cherish with my family and students. Our family just returned from a wonderful trip to Mexico and it's holiday and time off that I really appreciated with my loved ones. We came back with lots of fun memories and photos we captured to remember this special trip.

Upon my return, I have been busy preparing for mini Christmas recitals in my studio. It was a full week of recitals and the students all performed with such poise and pride as we collectively celebrated each other's achievements and the spirit of sharing this season. Every year, the Christmas recitals are held in my studio and I have mini recitals that accommodate smaller groups of students instead of renting a large hall and piano for this event. This gives a more intimate setting and makes it less intimidating particularly for the little ones as it is the first performing experience for many of them. I have also had the pleasure of including a few parents in the program with solos, duets and the lovely singing of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" rendered with guitar accompaniment.

We played a few games after the recital. What FUN! Charades and Pictionary seemed to be the favourites and I'm so amazed at everyone's skills at this game. It is so funny how players could make out the name of a Christmas song by drawing just a few lines! I love adapting these wonderful games to our classes especially seeing how the audience warmed up and participated with great sportsmanship! 

This season reminds me of everything I have been blessed with and I just am so thankful to reflect on these gifts and the wonderful families and students who have enriched my experience and life as a piano teacher. It's been a wonderful 2011 and here's wishing everyone a beautiful and blessed Christmas and a fantastic 2012.

Here's a slideshow I'd like to share that highlights the photos captured from the recital. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Leah, the recitals went well and I especially enjoyed the little bit of sharing time with the families, grandparents after the recital :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwww :)

    I am planning my first recital at the moment and don't even know where to start! My studio isn't big enough to host there so I need to rent a place out...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin, it is true that planning recitals can be quite overwhelming. I find a checklist helpful and this year might try incorporating a theme. My studio is the size of a family room and can fit no more than 6 families in the space. Thankful that I can still make it work over the years. If you're looking to rent, you might consider community centres with multipurpose rooms for your recitals and rent a digital or stage piano (for a less formal recital). Some facilities have pianos although few would have grand pianos equipped. Good luck with your recital planning.
    Wendy Stevens just added a wonderful post about recital themes. Be sure to check it out at http://www.composecreate.com/recital-themes/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and thoughts, I enjoy reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...